A St. John Paul II Relic in San Antonio, TX


A few weeks ago, Chad and I went into San Antonio to take some pics of some stunning and historic churches for an upcoming magazine article.  The photo session included three downtown churches and the five San Antonio missions (which, by the way, are now listed as a World Heritage Site!).  At the end of the day, at our last stop, I was amazed to see that Mission San Francisco de la Espada holds a 3rd class relic of St. John Paul II!  In the crucifix above, the white cloth was taken from a T-shirt left by the Pope when he visited San Antonio in 1987!  

Mission San Francisco de la Espada

Comments

  1. Thank you for posting the photos of Mission Espada. I am trying to research a little family history. My maternal grandfather lived at Mission Espada or attended services there as a young boy. I have a photo of him and my grandmother visiting the mission in 1956. My mother told us that he cried when he revisited the mission. Diane Tellez in S.A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that wonderful story, Diane! There will be more photos in the 2014 issue of Liguorian magazine. Would love to see that 1956 photo! If you are willing, click the contact link and send it to me!
      Such a beautiful and quiet mission. What a wonderful piece of history for your family!

      Delete

Post a Comment