We know very little about the Bible Saint, Rufus. However, from just one verse in the Bible, we can glean a handful of things about this obscure saint:
- He was an early Christian living in Rome around A.D. 57.
- He may have attended the House Church of Priscilla and Aquila.
- He knew Paul, for Paul mentioned him by name in Romans 16:13.
- He had a mother who also knew Paul.
- He may have met St. Phoebe who likely delivered this letter mentioning Rufus.
|Read More About St. Rufus|
Mark 15:21 mentions a Rufus who was a son of Simon the Cyrenian.
If this is the same Rufus, then it was St. Rufus's father who carried
Jesus' cross for a time on the road to Calvary.
|St. Rufus - A Disciple of St. Paul|
St. Rufus Medal
|Saint Rufus entry in Roman Martyrology|
Libreria Editrice Vatican