Finally Learning About My Vietman War MIA ~ Lt. Commander / Captain Leonard Lee


Lt. Commander Leonard Lee
 
POW/MIA Bracelets
When I was in Junior High School, it was a popular trend to wear a POW/MIA bracelet.  Each bracelet had the name of a military person who was either missing or a prisoner during the Vietnam War.  We were supposed to wear these bracelets and give special thought to and pray for our assigned person. 

Praying For and Thinking About My MIA
My bracelet had the name, Lt. Commander Leonard Lee inscribed on it.  I wore the bracelet for a long time.  I probably didn't pray for him as much as I should have, but I did think about him and wonder about him a lot.  And now, so many, many years later, Lt. Commander Leonard Lee still comes to mind from time to time.  And I have wondered ...

Finally Learning More!
With the increasing advances of the internet, I was able to find out what happened to my Navy Lt. Commander!  Sadly, he died in North Vietnam, presumably two days after Christmas in 1967 - when I was 8 years old.  When I bought my bracelet, probably at about the age of 12, he was still listed as "Missing In Action."  It wasn't until the year 2000 that his remains were discovered and verified.

A Young Pilot
Lieutenant Commander Leonard Lee was born in 1935 in Virginia, and joined the Navy at 17.  He completed two years of college after basic training, which made him eligible for flight school.  Leonard Lee became a pilot for the F4 Phantom fighter jet.  It was December 27, 1967 when Lt. Commander Leonard Lee and his back-seater, Roger Innes disappeared from radar while in flight in North Vietnam.  In July of 2000, Lee's remains were discovered in his downed jet under water.  While he was an MIA, he was promoted to Captain. Captain Leonard Lee lived for 32 years and was an MIA for 32 years.  

A Special Connection
It was pretty neat for me to finally learn about this man who I have thought about so much.  It is so neat to be able to see a photo of him.  It has prompted me to start praying for him again and asking him to pray for me!  I'm really glad I bought that bracelet back in the early 70s; I appreciate having a special connection to this Vietnam Vet.

Captain Leonard Lee
became an MIA on December 27, 1967

Comments

  1. My bracelet also was for Leonard Lee and I was also 8 years old in 1967! Thanks for posting this, i still have my bracelet and think of him often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is so neat!!! If you would be willing to send me a photo of the bracelet, I'd be very grateful!! I wish I still had mine!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts