A Nice Christmas Gift For Your Whole Town


I just love this idea from Catholic Digest.  My interest is probably due to a somewhat uncomfortable exchange of e-mails I had a few years ago.  I stumbled upon a site declaring that Catholics worship statues.  I e-mailed the site-keeper and told him that Catholics don't worship statues, that it is against the Catholic Faith to do so.  He replied and insisted that the vast majority of Catholics do worship statues (his aunt, for example).  So, I sent him a relevant link to the Catechism of the Catholic Church and asked him to please include the link in his site so that this myth about Catholicism would not be perpetuated (put 2132 or 2513 in the search box).  He replied that he would not include a link to the CCC ... that there is no need for the CCC because Catholics don't read or abide by it!  (I asked him to send me a link to the research on this "fact," but he ignored that request.)  At any rate, it was clear that the exchange was going nowhere, so I let it go and just said a few prayers for him.  

But, donating a copy of the Catechism of the Catholic Church to a local library is a wonderful, quiet, non-aggressive, non-threatening, and subtle way to let interested community members know what Catholics do and do not adhere to.  Due to the vast number of false rumors out there and some individuals who seem to detest, mock, or attack Catholicism, I thought that this was a terrific idea!

Catechism of the Catholic Church



Saint Stanislaus

Statues are reminders ... reminders of people who lived God-fearing lives ... reminders of people who inspire us to lead good lives ... and reminders us that there are people in heaven who are ready and willing to pray for us.  Sacred Art is meant to inspire people to grow closer to God. 

Comments