St. Hildegard Of Bingen - Live!

My niece invited my husband and I to a really neat one-woman, mezzo-soprano musical on the life of St. Hildegard of Bingen - a German mystic, musician, writer, and healer from the 12th century.  Linn Maxwell, the writer of the play, actress (with a very impressive resume!), and opera singer gave a powerful presentation and did a wonderful job singing several songs composed by the medieval saint.  Intriguingly, Hildegard died (1179) 2 years before St. Francis of Assisi was born (1181).  It took many years for the works of this impressive nun to be recognized, and 833 years after her death, she was canonized and declared a Doctor of the Church (2012)!

And it came to pass…when I was 42 years and 7 months old, that the heavens were opened and a blinding light of exceptional brilliance flowed through my entire brain. And so it kindled my whole heart and breast like a flame, not burning but warming…and suddenly I understood of the meaning of expositions of the books…   ~ St. Hildegard

It was such a privilege to see the show live, however, I was glad to learn that Paraclete Press saw tremendous value in the play and has sponsored a DVD presentation of it ...

 

St. Hildegard
Feast Day: September 17

Comments