7 Quick Takes Friday & The Gifts of Introversion

~1~
 
Being a person who really likes/needs a fair amount of quiet time and who avoids a lot of fanfare and hub-bub, I knew The Quiet would be a good book for me to read.  I recently finished reading this impressively researched book and made 178 highlights!  So many interesting points!  Here's one that I love and I think may explain why I dread committee-type meetings/gatherings:
 
"... there's zero correlation between the gift of gab and good ideas."   p. 5
 
I'm atrocious at the gift of gab and so many meeting situations out there require this.  I feel so drowned out and lack the aggressiveness to get my words or thoughts heard.   
 
 
~2~
 
Another great quote from Susan Cain's book:
 

"Introverts often work more slowly and deliberately.  The like to focus on one task at a time and can have mighty powers of concentration."     p. 11

I can so relate!  I've always felt uncomfortable with a lot of "multi-tasking," and now I understand why.  I often feel like I'm doing messy work when I "multi-task."  I would rather do one thing and do it really well, rather than a plethora of sloppy projects.  I suppose there are some people who can truly multi-task well.  I'm convinced that some end up compromising, however.


~3~
One of my favorite Kindle screen savers ...
of St. Jerome who spent much time
quietly studying and writing.
 "... we should worry if the louder and more forceful people always carry the day."   p. 51

So true ... I am old enough and experienced enough to know very well that "louder" and "more forceful" does not mean better.  It's nice to see so much research support this.
 

~4~

One of my favorites - Blessed Clemens von Galen.
Probably working on one of his great pastoral letters or sermons.

 "Studies have shown that performance gets worse as group size increases."   p. 88
 
Have you ever been a part of a large group trying to make a decision?  UGH!  


~5~

One of my favorite things to do ... sneak into a quiet church and sit.
I find it sad that so many are locked up most of the time these days.
You have to go ask the secretary at the church office to get in.
Not a comfortable way for an introvert to sneak into a church!

"Introverts' reflectiveness uses up a lot of cognitive capacity, according to Joseph Newman."   p. 168
 
Maybe that in part explains how I can get tired and worn out faster than lots of people I know.  I may not do a lot to the casual observer ... but just maybe it is in part because I put great deal of thought and effort into many things that I do, which in turn limits how much I appear to do.
 
 
~6~
Yes ... lots of times,
I'd rather be home reading a book.  :)
 "Many (introverts) have a horror of small talk, but enjoy deep discussions."   p. 11
 
Susan Cain does not bash extroverts in her book.  She fully recognizes that they have very important parts to play in the world.  But, she asserts that introverts also have very important roles to perform; they and their works just tend to be more hidden.  She repeats in her book how our American culture prizes and encourages extroverted behavior - and how difficult it can be to resist that honored personality style.  
 
 
~7~
 
"The trick for introverts is to honor their own styles instead of allowing themselves to be swept up by prevailing norms."   p. 173
 
Whether an introvert or an extrovert, The Quiet offers loads of research and a plethora of examples for the general population to ponder.  It gives introverts something they don't get much:  pleasant approval and praise.  And Susan gives buckets of reasons for our sometime-too-aggressive society to understand/accept/embrace the gifts of introverts. 
 
 
 
Peruse others' 7 Quick Takes at
ConversionDiary.com
 

Comments

  1. Wow, these are some great quotes -- definitely lend some food for thought. Thanks for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tess! It is indeed a very thought-provoking book! Blessings, blessings.

      Delete
  2. As an introvert, I find this book really intriguing. I'll have to read it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great and supportive book for introverts, Jeanne. I hope you enjoy it! Goodness to you!

      Delete
  3. As your brother and someone who shares your introvert DNA I couldn't agree more with the highlights you listed here. :-) By the way, I like your blog spot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, John! AWESOME book ... thanks for sharing it with me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts