Joel ~ A Prophet and Saint to Ponder

Prophet and Saint Joel
by Michelangelo Buonarrotti

I’ve been working on an article about the Prophet Joel.  To me, Joel is one of those in-the-background sort of prophets.  Maybe it’s because he rarely makes it into Sunday readings (Joel 3:1-5 is an optional reading for the Pentecost Sunday Vigil Mass).  He makes some good points, though.  And, if you like dramatic and colorful text, you might enjoy his style of literature (which is only 4 chapters long).  His bottom line seems to be that bad times happen (in his day, it was a severe locust invasion and drought), but that we must persevere by turning towards God both externally (fasting, making sacrifices, etc.), and inwardly (prayer, devotion to God)!  Joel insists that despite troubled times, God loves us, wants us to remember Him, and will be there for us.


A Few St. Joel Gems ...

To you, O LORD, I cry!    
~ Joel 1:19a

Rend your hearts, not your garments, and return to the LORD, your God.    
~ Joel 2:13a

... I will pour out My spirit upon all mankind.
~ Joel 3:1a

Then you shall know that I, the LORD, am your God.
~ Joel 4:17a


Comments