Blessed Louis Martin, Clocks, and Rennes, France

 


Not too long ago, I worked on a manuscript about Blessed Louis Martin, the father of St. Thérèse. During my research, I was struck by a coincidence between this holy man and an experience I once had.

Although Louis was from Alenҫon, France, he lived in Rennes, France for a short time - from 1842 until 1843 (he was 19-20 years old and unmarried). It was during this time that he was introduced to the art of clock and watch making, which ended up becoming his livelihood for many years.

During my junior year of college, I spent a semester in France ... in Rennes (I left just a few days after my 20th birthday). One of the very first things I purchased while in Rennes was a clock.

Maybe Blessed Louis knew all those years ago that I would some day write about him. At any rate, I do like fun and unexpected connections like that.

I lived with a family at the end of this alley
during the fall semester of 1979.


A Young 20-Year-Old in France


A Receipt and Train Ticket from
a Pilgrimage from Rennes to Lisieux
 

 

Comments

Popular Posts